University of Florida Homepage

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. How do I get started? First, find an internship! Click here to see what other students have done. Once you have found an internship, fill out an application for class credit and drop it off with Dr. Smith. Credit may be earned for the summer, fall, and spring semesters.
  2. What are the requirements for earning class credit? In order to receive class credit, students must work a minimum of 140 hours during their semester-long internship.  Also, before the end of the grading period students are required to submit 1) a weekly journal, and 2) a 8-10 page paper relating an academic study to their experience. Students should consult with Dr. Smith about their research papers. Papers and journals are to submitted to at the end of the semester, per instructions of Dr. Smith.
  3. What class will give me credit for my internship and when can I register? You may receive POS4940, PAD4940, INR4940 credit for your internship. While you are able to enroll in the course multiple times, do note only 3 credits of internship work (regardless of course code) will count towards your political science degree.  Please submit your application to Dr. Smith as early as possible to ensure your registration. Students are responsible for any late fees.
  4. What counts as a political science internship? Political science internships include, but are not limited to, working in law firms, various court systems, nonprofit social welfare organizations, government offices, political party organizations, or political campaigns. If you have questions about a specific internship possibility, please contact the Internship Program Coordinator, Dr. Smith.
  5. What is the Washington Center? The Washington Center is a program that places interns in government offices in and around Washington, D.C. Because the program is well publicized, the most prestigious placements offered can be very competitive. The Center also provides an academic program and optional convenient housing for a fee.  Many UF students have enjoyed their experience with the center.
  6. What class do I register for as a student of the Graham Center for Leadership? Students in the Graham Center’s Certificate in Public Service are required to complete a public affairs internship. Students may complete this requirement by registering for PAD 4940.
  7. Where can I get more information? For more information, please contact Professor Daniel Smith.