University of Florida Homepage


All Ph.D. applicants (except those who indicate that they have external financial support) are considered for funding by the Department. Most Ph.D. students are funded by teaching and research assistantships, which include tuition waivers. Many Teaching Assistants lead discussion sections, grade, and/or provide administrative assistance in large classes.  After admission to candidacy, Ph.D. students may apply to teach an undergraduate class. Research Assistants may assist faculty with particular research tasks or provide editorial support.

The Graduate School has other fellowships and awards available to incoming and current Ph.D. students on a competitive basis.

Ph.D. students may be supported through the Dauer or Ehrlich Endowed Chairs, as well as may be awarded Manning J. Dauer Fellowships as supplements to their assistantships.

In addition, the department nominates students for consideration for the following awards College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dissertation Fellowships.

Students interested in studying Africa, Latin America, or Europe may also be eligible for Title VI Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships. Please see the Center websites for information on which languages are supported and application requirements and deadlines.

Center for African Studies

Center for Latin American Studies

Center for European Studies

The Department generally does not provide assistantships for students in our MA programs.  However, M.A. students in Political Campaigning are considered for partial support through funds appropriated and donated to that program. In addition, under the Academic Common Market, residents of thirteen southeastern states who are admitted to our M.A. Program in Political Campaigning or our Ph.D. program (with a concentration in African Politics), may be eligible to waive out-of-state tuition fees. For more information, contact the Academic Common Market Coordinator in your state.

Students are encouraged to seek further information on financial aid from the UF Graduate School Financial Aid website and the UF Student Financial Affairs website.

International students from non-English speaking countries who apply for department assistantships must demonstrate proficiency in spoken English on either the TOEFL ibt or the SPEAK test.