University of Florida Homepage

Department of Political Science

Meet Dr. Andrew Rosenberg

Meet Dr. Andrew Rosenberg

Interview conducted by Tenney Kapellusch

1) Why did you want to work at UF?

I came to UF as a part of a cluster hire on race, gender, and inequality. The cluster hire really appealed to me, and I was very excited that the university is committed to hiring junior faculty that study and teach about  these politically important issues. This hiring initiative revealed the University’s ambition and dynamism, and I was hopeful of the opportunity to join such a community.

2) How has teaching at UF impacted your life?

I have been really impressed with the undergraduate and graduate students. Teaching has been incredibly rewarding. I leave every class with  something new to consider, and talking with students has been really helpful for thinking about my research as well.

3) What made you want to pursue becoming a professor?

I have always really enjoyed teaching other people and I have also been attracted the idea of doing research on politically important topics and contributing to human knowledge. Being a professor is the best job in the world because it the perfect combination of the two!

4)  How did you get interested in Political Science?

When I went to college, my very first class was an International Relations class. At the time I thought I wanted to study history but that very first class got me hooked on Political Science.

5)  In what area do you focus your research and why?

The majority of my solo research is on the politics of international migration and sovereignty.  I am interested in why we see the persistence of discrimination in international migration even though laws exist that explicitly forbid such discrimination.  These are topics that impact our modern world and are related to so many other areas of politics.

6)  What is the one thing you hope students take away from your classes?

I want them to be able to analyze and appreciate the importance of network interdependence in the international system. We live in an interconnected world, and every policy that they may support or disapprove of has unintended consequences.

7)  What is your favorite type of food?

Anything spicy.

8)  What is at the top of your bucket list?

I would love to go to Australia or China.

9)  What is the most interesting thing about you that most people do not know?

I tutored an Olympic gold medalist in French.

10)  If you could give one piece of advice to a new Political Science student, what would it be?

Do not just settle for fulfilling requirements for your degree. Take a variety of classes that interest and will challenge you. Also appreciate the freedom that comes with being a student.

11)  What advice would you give to your undergraduate self and why?

Appreciate your time as a student and take a few more risks. Pursue opportunities for more independent work and get more involved.