University of Florida Homepage

Department of Political Science

Christina Ford interned in Washington, D.C. this summer

Our undergraduate student Christina Ford writes:

This summer, I participated in the White House Internship program as an intern for Mrs. Michelle Obama in the Office of the First Lady. Over the course of 11 weeks, I worked with her scheduling department to coordinate responses from the First Lady to elected officials, University Presidents, and CEOs. I also helped prepare correspondence for the First Lady’s signature and had the opportunity to select sample letters from the American public for Mrs. Obama to and respond to each week. Additionally, I was able to participate in a weekly roundtable discussion with the First Lady’s Senior Staff and hear from other members of the administration such as Valerie Jarrett, Denis McDonough, the Vice President, and the President himself. Other highlights included helping to staff the 4th of July celebration on the South Lawn and meeting the President during the first week on the job. It was a true honor to participate in this internship and I could not be more grateful for the opportunity.

Coming from University of Florida was an essential part of my placement and success in the program. The University of Florida was the only higher education institution in Florida that was represented in the internship class this summer. I was able to submit a compelling application to the program thanks to the opportunities and resources I gained from the University of Florida. Specifically, I believe the knowledge and writing skills I have learned in my political science classes played a significant role in my success in the internship.